The football club FC Hansa Rostock, currently playing in the 1. Bundesliga, was founded on December 28, 1965, when the football department of SC Empor was made independent of their parent sports club under a government sanctioned program that would groom young talent and provide the East German (DDR) national team with a steady supply of highly skilled players.
SC Empor Rostock originally played as Empor Lauter in a small mining town in Saxony near the Czech border. Lauter was unexpectedly successful and in 1954 drew the attention of politician Harry Tisch who decided his city deserved a decent team to play in the newly completed Ostseestadion and simply ordered the club to Rostock over the futile protests of the locals. This was a common occurrence in East German football as clubs were regularly named and re-named, dismantled or shuffled from city to city at the whim of well-placed communist officials.
The footballers made the best of their new circumstances and went on to enjoy some measure of success through the rest of the 50's and on into the 60's. The transplanted side finished as East German vice-champions in three consecutive seasons of the DDR-Oberliga from 1962 to 1964 and made four appearances in the final of the East German Cup. Unfortunately, they were unable to come away with any sort of title. The club was re-named Hansa Rostock after its separation from SC Empor in 1965, in a tribute to the city's historic place in the Hanseatic League of north German port cities.
By the '70s the club was consistently finishing in the lower half of the league table and was relegated to the second division DDR-Liga, Staffel A for a single season on three different occasions late in the decade. They returned to form in the 80's and when the football leagues of the two Germanys were merged in 1991 after the re-unification of the country, Rostock won its first national championship in the last ever season of East German football, played out in the transitional NOFV Oberliga Nordost. They would also capture the last ever East German Cup with a 1:0 win over FC Stahl Eisenhüttenstadt.
The club's timely success earned them a place in the Bundesliga, expanded from 18 to 20 teams for the 1991-92 season to accommodate two former East German teams, alongside Dynamo Dresden. Hansa was unable to stay up and was relegated after falling just a single point shy of the club ahead of them. Three seasons of tempering in the 2.Bundesliga would return the club to the top flight for the 1995-96 season. In ten years spent in the Bundesliga the team's best result would be a pair of sixth place finishes. In spite of frequent finishes in the bottom half of the league table, they would persist as the only former East German side able to consistently challenge the well-heeled clubs of the west.
Rostock had a very poor first half in the 2004-05 season, earning only a single win and five draws in 17 matches. They were unable to recover and at season's end were relegated, leaving the former DDR without a club in the top flight for the first time since re-unification. Like other East German teams they were the victims of a harsh economic reality as the wealthier, well-established western sides bought up the most talented eastern footballers as their clubs struggled to survive financially: Rostock's Stefan Beinlich and Oliver Neuville were just two players sent west for cash.
FC HANSA ROSTOCK e. V.
|Honours||East German Champion: 1991
East German Vice-Champions: 1962, 1963, 1964, 1968
East German Cup: 1991
East German Cup finalists: 1955, 1957, 1960, 1967, 1987
German Indoor-Champion: 1998
|Founded||on December 28, 1965|
|Chairman of the club||Dirk Grabow|
|Supervisory board||Prof. Dr. Horst Klinkmann|
|Physicians||Dr. Frank Bartel, Dr. Holger Strubelt|
|Physiotherapists||Peter Meier, Frank Scheller|
|Clubcolors||white and blue|
|Stadium||Ostseestadion Rostock (Capacity of 30 000)|
||about 3 700|
The Ostseestadion was built in 1954, with the participation of several hundred citizens of Rostock who helped for free. The first international match in the Ostseestadion of East Germany was on September 26, 1956. The stadium was refurbished and modified to accommodate 30 000 spectators in 2001.
|Year of construction||1954|
|Playing field||football stadium, 80 x 120 m|
|Total capacity||30 000|
|Terraces||20 000 (under roof)|
|Basic seating||10 000 (under roof)|
|Service||multi-functional video wall, 18 shops, 5 fanshops|
|Parking lot||nearly the stadium small volume|
|Adress||Ostseestadion GmbH & Co.KG